Internal Combustion Versus AC Driven Forklift Trucks
Electric forklifts have taken over the material handling industry! Whether it’s been a slow transition due to the fear of cost or just a general fear of change, the benefits of transitioning from an internal combustion (IC) to an electric motor lift truck (AC) are important to know. From increased performance to environmental impact, the AC driven lift trucks have definitely started to trend.
So, what are the benefits of electric-powered industrial trucks? We compiled a list of the most important advantages:
- Higher performance: These trucks allow for better acceleration, faster speeds (up to 12.5 mph), better ramp hold, and a smoother shift form forward to reverse (and vice versa), which increases operator productivity.
- Reduced energy consumption: Electric forklifts utilize approximately 30 percent less energy than traditional IC motor trucks. Also, an AC power system will allow the forklift to operate, even when the battery charge runs low – something that IC powered trucks can’t do.
- Reduced maintenance: Simply put, electric trucks have fewer moving parts than a forklift with an internal combustion (IC) engine. In other words, fewer repairs and less maintenance expense!
- Lower fuel costs: An AC forklift may need about $4 worth of electricity to function, while IC trucks may need $10 in fuel.
- Environmentally friendly: Unlike an IC motor truck, electric forklifts produce no harmful emissions, no harmful particulates and no odors!
Industrial truck manufacturers are constantly searching for ways to make electric AC motors more efficient and more user-friendly while meeting air regulation standards. So, it’ll be interesting to see the how these trucks evolve over the coming years.